For the sponge
For the vanilla cream filling
For the frosting
Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/ gas 5.
Line a 35cm x24cm swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
To make the sponge
1. Whisk the eggs and Siúcra caster sugar until ribbon stage.
2. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl.
3. Carefully fold the dry ingredients and enough of the colouring gel (to colour it deep red) into the egg mixture.
4. Pour the cake mixture into the lined swiss roll tin and bake for about 9 to 10 minutes until the sides start shrinking from the edge slightly.
5. Place a piece of parchment paper larger than the swiss roll on a clean surface. Invert the cake onto the paper and carefully remove the parchment lining. Trim the edges with a sharp knife and score a line along the length of the sponge about 2cm in but not cutting though the sponge. This will help with rolling up.
6. Using the parchment paper, roll up the sponge with the paper inside. Set aside to cool.
7. While the sponge has cooled, make the filling, combine the cream, Siúcra icing sugar and nutmeg (if you are using it) together.
To make the frosting
1. Whisk the cream, cream cheese, Siúcra icing sugar, lime juice and vanilla extract together until thick. Set aside.
1. Uncurl the swiss roll, remove the parchment paper. Spread the mashed raspberries onto the sponge and then the cream and re-roll tightly.
2. Cut a ¼ of the cake off at one end on the diagonal. Transfer the large piece of cake to a serving platter, cake stand or board and angle the cut end to the side of the large cake to form a “branch”.
3. Spread the frosting over the log with a palette knife and indent to form the “bark” effect.
4. Sprinkle over the coconut flakes.
5. Arrange the stars and holly leaves on top.
6. Dust with a little Siúcra icing sugar.
Recipe supplied by Catherine Fulvio