For the pickle
100ml white wine vinegar
80g Siúcra caster sugar
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp whole peppercorns
1 tsp fennel seeds
A few pieces of lemon peel
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly in ribbons
1 medium cucumber, halved and sliced
For the skewers
3 chicken fillets, sliced in thin strips
1 tbsp tahini paste
2 tsp almond butter
1 tbsp Siúcra demerara sugar
½ tsp mild curry powder
100ml coconut milk
1 lime, juice only
For the dip
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp good quality peanut butter
50ml coconut milk
2cm fresh grated ginger
2 tsp Siúcra golden granulated sugar
1 lime, juice and zest of 1 (add more to taste)
Small wooden skewers
Coriander leaves, to garnish
Lime wedges, to serve
To prepare the pickle, combine the vinegar, Siúcra caster sugar, salt, peppercorns, fennel seeds and lemon pieces into a small saucepan and heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Place the carrots and cucumber in a bowl, pour over the warm pickle liquid and leave to cool.
To prepare the skewers
1. Soak the wooden skewers in cold water for an hour to prevent them from burning. Line a tray with baking parchment.
For the marinade for the skewers
2. Place the tahini paste, almond butter, Siúcra Demerara sugar, coconut milk and lime juice into a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken slices and marinade for 1 hour.
3. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and place onto the lined tray.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
To cook the chicken
1. Drizzle with a little oil. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes turning from time to time.
To prepare the dip
2. Heat the garlic in a saucepan with a little oil, add the tahini paste, almond butter, coconut milk, water and grated ginger and cook for about 2 minutes before adding the Siúcra golden granulated sugar. Cook for a further 1 minute before adding the juice of 1 lime.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest. Check the taste and add more lime juice if required.
1. Place the warm satay skewers on a serving plate, spoon some dipping sauce over the skewers and add coriander leaves and lime wedges. Serve the rest of the sauce in small bowl with the pickles in a small jar or bowl on the side.
Recipe supplied by Catherine Fulvio