1. Remove the steak from the fridge and any packaging, pat very dry and leave to one side.
2. Combine all the spice rub mixture and sprinkle all over the steak, on both sides to ensure even coverage. If you have a small wire rack over a plate or dish you can use to refrigerate on it would be ideal, however if you don’t it’s fine to leave directly on a plate, uncovered as it marinades (to note: the steak will be a little wetter with this method).
3. Allow to come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before cooking.
4. Heat your oven to 200ºC. On a heavy skillet on the hob, heated until smoking and kept at medium-high, pour in the oil and then introduce your steaks (one by one if using a small skillet) and allowing roughly two minutes a side, then removing to an ovenproof dish or tray and allowing 3-5 minutes until registering an internal temperature of 55ºC before removing covering loosely in foil and allowing 5-10 minute to rest. Medium rare is around 62-65ºC, and that’s how we like to serve it but you can use your own judgement.
REFRESHING ICED TEA
3 black tea bags
1L boiling water
2-3 tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
Sliced lemon & orange
1. Boil your kettle and using a heatproof jug, pour the water over 3 tea bags. Stir in the sugar, honey and ginger.
2. Allow roughly 7 minutes to brew. Then remove teabags (without straining, this leaves bitter tannins) and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
3. Decent into a jug, jar or glass bottle using a funnel and sieve. Add lemon, orange and mint, then keep in the fridge until needed.
4. Serve over ice with more citrus and mint to garnish.
For more recipe inspiration, follow GastroGays on Instagram:@gastrogays