For the jam filling
For the cupcakes
For the cream cheese icing
1. For the jam, hull and wash the strawberries. Put them in a large saucepan and use a spoon or potato masher to slightly crush the strawberries.
2. Over a medium heat, add the sure set sugar and vanilla. Allow the sugar to dissolve before bringing the mix to a boil. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
3. You can check if your jam is set by clipping a sugar thermometer to the side of the pot, the jam will set at 105˚C.
4. Once set, allow the jam to sit in the pot for 15 minutes and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
6. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
7. Fold in the flour and add the milk. Spoon the mix into the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooked, use a small teaspoon to scoop a small hole in the center of each cupcake. Spoon in 1-2 tsp of the homemade strawberry jam into each. Set aside.
9. For the cream cheese icing, beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add in the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until well combined.
10. Add the cream cheese icing to a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe a swirl of icing on the top of each cupcake.
11. In a small saucepan, add the strawberries and caster sugar. Turn to a medium heat and allow the sugar to dissolve and the strawberries to soften.
12. Pass the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds. Allow to cool.
13. To decorate the cupcakes, add a halved fresh strawberry to each cupcake. Top with some crushed meringue and drizzle with the cooled strawberry coulis. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Siúcra x EasyFood