For the jam filling
400g Siúcra Sure Set Sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1tbsp vanilla extract
For the cupcakes
140g butter, softened
140g Siúcra Caster Sugar
170g self raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
For the cream cheese icing
325g Siúcra Icing Sugar
125g unsalted butter, softened
100g cream cheese, room temperature
1tsp vanilla extract
50g strawberries, plus extra to decorate
1tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
6 mini meringues or 3 large meringues
1. For the jam, hull and wash the strawberries. Put them in a large saucepan and use a spoon or potato masher to slightly crush the strawberries.
2. Over a medium heat, add the sure set sugar and vanilla. Allow the sugar to dissolve before bringing the mix to a boil. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
3. You can check if your jam is set by clipping a sugar thermometer to the side of the pot, the jam will set at 105˚C.
4. Once set, allow the jam to sit in the pot for 15 minutes and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
6. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
7. Fold in the flour and add the milk. Spoon the mix into the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooked, use a small teaspoon to scoop a small hole in the center of each cupcake. Spoon in 1-2 tsp of the homemade strawberry jam into each. Set aside.
9. For the cream cheese icing, beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add in the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until well combined.
10. Add the cream cheese icing to a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe a swirl of icing on the top of each cupcake.
11. In a small saucepan, add the strawberries and caster sugar. Turn to a medium heat and allow the sugar to dissolve and the strawberries to soften.
12. Pass the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds. Allow to cool.
13. To decorate the cupcakes, add a halved fresh strawberry to each cupcake. Top with some crushed meringue and drizzle with the cooled strawberry coulis. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Siúcra x EasyFood
Here you can find both satisfying and sweet treats for a very happy Easter weekend.
Time for citrus
Is there anything better than to start the morning with homemade marmalade on your toast. Let the season's citrus fruits inspire you.
Inspired by the Japanese breakfast staple, Puffed Pancakes with Strawberries, Cinnamon Syrup and Lemon Cream, served warm and straight from the pan are sure to be a winner with all the family.
Mmm! What could be better than a rich, sumptuous chocolate cake to lift the spirits – either as an indulgent treat or to round off a meal.
Cheesecakes of every kind
How about serving up a creamy, tangy cheesecake rather than a regular cake at your party? Cheesecakes come in many different variations, forms and flavours.